If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (305) 278-8484

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Being Safe with Electrical Appliances in Your Franjo Condo Helps Prevent Fires

1/21/2017 (Permalink)

Fire Damage Being Safe with Electrical Appliances in Your Franjo Condo Helps Prevent Fires Fire Damage, Electrical Dangers, and Your Franjo Condo

Smoke and Fire Damage Can Result from Faulty Appliances

Our homes are filled with electrical appliances, but you should be aware that although they are convenient, a lot of them are potentially dangerous as well. Your electrical appliances can begin fires or cause electric shock, and each has its dangers. When you understand these hazards, you can help keep you, your family and your property safe. You should also have access to a fire remediation company you can trust, such as SERVPRO, just in case an emergency does arise.

Common dangers with appliances we use every day can cause fire and smoke damage to your Franjo condominium. Please be aware of factors that can produce these unwanted consequences.

Frayed Cords
Electric cords on your appliances have a neutral and a live wire. Each is insulated from direct contact with flammable material, water or your hands. The live wire can become exposed if the cord is frayed. This leaves your household susceptible to electric fires. Damaged and frayed electric blankets are quite dangerous, so be sure to check them before use. This is especially true if they have been stored away during the warmer months. Regularly check your cords and replace any damaged or frayed cords right away. Call an electrician if you find a power point switch broken or cracked.

Poor Maintenance
Many appliances must be cleared or cleaned regularly to stop material build-up that could start a fire. Clean hot plates and ovens regularly to stop the accumulation of fats and spilled foods. Electric motors of exhaust fans need to have lint and dust removed from them. If applicable, have your clothes dry vent checked and cleaned of lint which prevents excessive work for your appliance and safeguards your condo. SERVPRO can clean this venting system and also check your HVAC system for blockage and buildup of mold spores and debris. If you do experience a fire, contact our technicians at SERVPRO to clean up the damage.

Overloaded Circuit
An overloaded circuit may not burn your house down but can create a huge inconvenience if the oven stops working before dinner gets made. Your wiring system can handle only a certain level of power, so fuses are put in place to limit how much power goes through your electrical system. If you exceed the power demands on a circuit, the breaker will shut down to prevent damage. Too many appliances on a circuit can lead to overloads, then fires.

Closeness to Water or Excess Moisture
Water is great for conducting electricity. Electricity travels readily through the water and into your body as the current seeks a ground. Electrocution occurs far too often and is so preventable, avoid this tragedy. As a sidebar, electrocution is the leading cause of firefighters injuries and deaths. Keep your electrical appliances away from water and when you are standing near or in water, or have wet hands, do not touch anything electrical.

If a flame or flare-up occurs in your home, a multi-purpose fire extinguisher should be used instead of water, since using water can be dangerous.  Then make sure you get in touch with us at SERVPRO of Cutler Bay so we can assess the damages. Just give us a ring at (305) 278-8484.
 

Other News

View Recent Posts