If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (305) 278-8484

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Learn How to Take Care of a Fire in Your Cutler Ridge Kitchen

3/17/2017 (Permalink)

Fire Damage Learn How to Take Care of a Fire in Your Cutler Ridge Kitchen SERVPRO Says Have a Fire Extinguisher Handy for Kitchen Fires in Cutler Ridge

Kitchen Fires Are Dangerous, Call SERVPRO for Professional Restoration

Considering kitchen fires can happen fast, would you know what to do if one started in your kitchen? Learning ahead of time when to smother a fire, when to use a fire extinguisher, and when to call the fire department is valuable information everyone should have. Mishaps while cooking makes up to ninety percent of kitchen fires, and a majority of these are grease fires. When a fire does happen, you want the expertise of a professional fire remediation company such as SERVPRO.
 
Grease Fires
Grease fires are in their own class, and should not be handled like any other type of fire in your Cutler Ridge kitchen. The number one warning to remember is to never pour water on a grease fire, which can splash spread the fire and increase the fire damage. You should store a powder type extinguisher under the sink base cabinet for just such emergencies. Safety first. If necessary stay clear and let the fire hopefully burn out.
 
When you cook, have a potholder, oven mitt, and a lid which fits your pan on hand and ready in case sparks occur. If a fire from grease begins in your pan, place the oven mitt over your hand, then put the lid atop the pan to smother the fire. Try sliding the lid over the flames instead of dropping the lid down. Turn the burner off and leave the pan right there so it can cool. Do not ever move the pan, put it in the sink, or carry it outside, and do not lift the lid before the pan has had a chance to cool.
 
Microwave, Oven and Electrical Fires
Fires can occur anywhere in your kitchen – in the microwave, by an electrical outlet, or in the stove. When a fire takes place in your microwave, shut the door of the oven and keep it shut. Turn off the microwave and unplug it if you can do so safely. Do not use the appliance again until a technician checks it. Close the oven door if a fire happens here, and turn it off. When the fire does not go out immediately, call the fire department, and have the oven inspected and repaired before using it again.
 
You can prevent electrical fires by not overloading your electrical outlets. If a fire begins, use a fire extinguisher. Do not douse it with water under any circumstance. Always call the fire department for this type of fire, even if you have put it out already with the fire extinguisher. Contact SERVPRO as well to repair any damages and eliminate the smoky odors, as we have all the equipment and experience needed in this situation.
 
You should also learn how to use a fire extinguisher, so you are not trying to read the directions in a time of need. Baking soda is also necessary to keep handy in your kitchen, as it can help extinguish the flames of a grease fire. Never use flour instead, as it can make the flames worse. Do not ever hesitate to call the fire department, but the above tips can help you extinguish small, contained fires while you wait for their help. With larger fires, be sure to get yourself and family members out of the house right away.
 
SERVPRO of Cutler Bay is standing by at all times to help you after a kitchen fire has damaged your home. You can reach us at (305) 278-8484 whenever you need our help in fire damage cleanup.

Other News

View Recent Posts